Easy Chickpea and Veggie Pita Pizzas
2 cups (500 mL) grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 cup (250 mL) drained and rinsed canned chickpeas
1 cup (250 mL) quartered and chopped English cucumber
1/4 cup (60 mL) diced red onion
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley, divided
1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 tsp (5 mL) sumac or dried oregano leaves
4 small whole wheat pitas (approx.7-inches/18 cm)
3/4 cup (175 mL) hummus, divided
1-1/3 cups (325 mL) shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
Top 5 nutrients provided by a serving of this recipe
Nutrient and % DV*
23% / 300 mg
* Note: The daily value (DV) is established by Health Canada and corresponds to the daily quantity recommended for each nutrient. The percentage of the daily value (% DV) indicates the proportion of the nutrient provided by a serving of the recipe, in comparison with the quantity recommended.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
2. In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, onion, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the parsley, oil, lemon juice, and sumac.
3. Place two pitas on a baking sheet; spread 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the hummus on each. Spoon one-quarter of the tomato mixture onto each pita; sprinkle each with 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the cheese.
4. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle each pita with 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) of the remaining parsley. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Mix and match plant and animal protein foods; each provides unique nutrition and health benefits. In this pita pizza, cheese is a complete protein that provides highly absorbable calcium, while the chickpeas provide fibre for gut health.
For more great recipes, visit DairyFarmersofCanada.ca