Grilled Cheese with Asparagus and Mushrooms
Cheese is a good source of “complete” protein, meaning protein that contains all 9 essential amino acids that the body needs but cannot make. Plant-based proteins are generally considered incomplete.
12 small asparagus, cut in 2 cm (1 in) pieces
20 mL (4 tsp) butter
250 mL (1 cup) leek, white part, minced
2 small (or 1 big) portobello mushrooms, finely minced
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
8 slices whole grain bread
400 mL (1⅔ cups) Canadian Gouda, grated
Pepper to taste
Top 5 nutrients provided by a serving of this recipe
Nutrient and % DV*
33 % / 424 mg
* Note: The daily value (DV) is established by Health Canada and corresponds to the daily quantity recommended for each nutrient. The percentage of the daily value (% DV) indicates the proportion of the nutrient provided by a serving of the recipe, in comparison with the quantity recommended.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Yields 4 servings
Recipe created by Josée Robitaille
- In a small pot of boiling water, cook the asparagus al dente, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the size. Cool and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 10 mL (2 tsp) of butter over medium heat. Cook the leek and mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with pepper and add the garlic. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Lightly butter 4 slices of bread with 5 mL (1 tsp) of butter. Turn the slices of bread over and top with 250 mL (1 cup) of Gouda. Add the cooked vegetables (asparagus and mushroom mixture). Cover with the rest of the cheese. Cover with the remaining 4 slices of bread. Lightly butter them with the rest of the butter, i.e., 5 mL (1 tsp).
- Cook in a grill, panini grill or skillet (over medium heat, lightly pressing the sandwiches and turning them once), until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
For more dietitians’ favourite recipes, visit Dairy Farmers of Canada